by Internet Medical Society
Colon cancer also known as colorectal cancer includes the cancerous growths in the colon, rectum and appendix. It is the third most common cancer that affects both males and females in the United States. Approximately, 102,900 Americans are diagnosed with this disease annually.
Types of Colon cancer are adenocarcinomas, lymphomas, leimyosarcomas, neuroendocrine tumours and melanomas.
What causes Colon Cancer?
There are several causes of the colon cancer and some factors such as genetic and environmental factors places certain individuals at higher risks for the disease. Other factors include, age, prior history of colon cancer, a diet high in fat and low in fibre and a disease or condition related to the increased risk.
Symptoms of Colon Cancer:
The symptoms of colon cancer are non-specific and numerous, including weakness, fatigue, change in bowel habits, shortness of breath, red or dark blood in stool, diarrhea or constipation, abdominal cramps or bloating and weight loss. Colon cancer can be present for several years before the symptoms develop and these symptoms vary according to where the large bowel tumor is located.
If you experience the symptoms of colorectal cancer, you should make an appointment with your family doctor, a specialist in treating disease of the colon, a gastroenterologist, colon and rectal surgeon or a physician specially trained in the management of digestive system disorders. The doctor will ask your complete medical, family and drug history and perform a physical examination including a digital rectal examination. The tests include colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy and double contrast barium enema.
Colon Cancer Affordable Treatments
There are different types of colon cancer treatments available out of which some are standard treatments while others are being tested in clinical trials. The colon cancer affordable treatment options depend on the stage of the cancer, whether it has recurred and the patient’s overall general health.
The three main treatment options for colorectal cancer are:
Colon Cancer Surgery at the Best Cancer Hospital in India
The goal of colon cancer surgery is to eliminate the cancer and in case of advanced disease is to relieve the symptoms. The major types of colon cancer surgery are:
1) Bowel Diversion Surgery: It allows the stool to safely leave the body when either due to injury or disease, the large intestine is removed or requires time to heal. The several surgical options for this surgery are:
2) Radiofrequency Ablation: It is a type of colon cancer surgery, which uses a special probe with tiny electrodes that kill the cancer cells. It can be used during a surgical procedure or through the skin. It is an appropriate treatment for patients having multiple tumours or who have been previously treated with surgery.
3) Polypectomy: It is performed during a colonoscopy and followed by a biopsy and periodic monitoring to check the colon for additional polyps.
4) Cryosurgery: It is a treatment which uses an instrument to freeze and destroy the abnormal tissue. Also known as cyrotherapy, it is done using local anaesthesia and it is less expensive than other treatments and requires shorter recovery time and a short hospital stay.
5) Laparoscopic Colectomy: This procedure helps to eliminate the colon cancer and it places less stress on the body compared to the conventional open surgery.
Since India has been recognized as an emerging global medical destination, many international patients fly down here to get the colon cancer treatment at the best cancer hospital in India. The cancer hospitals in India have the most advanced MRI and CT technology and offers the highest quality medical services and treatments that adheres to the international standards.